Community

June 9, 2016
SonyaRecipe1

Sonya Masinovsky’s Shavuot Recipe

Sonya’s Shavuot Recipe – Shavuot commemorates both the day the Israelites received the Torah, as well as the first harvests of wheat and fruit. I love […]
June 6, 2016
Chloe 1

David Kopp Reviews By Chloe – Vegan Goodness Opens in Silverlake

By David Kopp / @davidbkopp – Book signing or Yom Kippur services, what do you do?  This was a choice my friend faced. Mind you this […]
June 2, 2016
A Pharaohs performance. | Photo: Courtesy of Alejandro Cohen.

Dublab’s Alejandro Cohen on the Art of the Mix

By Maxwell Williams / KCET / January 8, 2016 – When Alejandro “Ale” Cohen was 13 years old in Buenos Aires, he never expected to pursue […]
June 2, 2016
Lisa Anne Auerbach, "Photomural for Nottingham Contemporary Window Installation," 2009, color photograph, 22 x 11 feet.

Sweater Weather: Lisa Anne Auerbach’s Political Textiles

By Maxwell Williams / KCET / January 29, 2016 – Lisa Anne Auerbach’s grandmother’s mother was a tailor. And her mom quilted. So it only made […]
June 2, 2016
Sarah Soquel Morhaim, photos from "Year of the Ghost," published by Editions Ltd. 18 pages, staple bound, softcover 280 x 200 mm. First Edition, 2014.

Sarah Soquel Morhaim: Transcending Traditional Photography

By Maxwell Williams / KCET / February 25, 2016 – Some photographers make work that is bathed in so many ideas that it is hard to […]
June 2, 2016
Artist Jenny Yurshansky's extended family with mother Rima. | Photo: Courtesy of the artist.

Infinite Return: Jenny Yurshansky Traces Her Soviet Jewish Roots

By Alicia Eler / KCET / March 17, 2016 – For years, Los Angeles artist Jenny Yurshansky has asked her mom the same question: When will they go […]
June 2, 2016
farmersmarketcrop

Profile: LA Cook and Food Stylist Sonya Masinovsky

Sonya Masinovsky: So, Ma Nishma (what’s up)? Hakol beseder! A/S/L and what your first ever AIM name? 34/F/Los Angeles (Los Feliz). My first AIM name was […]
June 1, 2016
Square Circle band pin.

Jack Levinson and the Story of Indie Rockers Square Circle

By Maxwell Williams / KCET / April 27, 2016 – On a pleasant day last June, I sat down in a ring with a number of […]
June 1, 2016
Photo: Farah Sosa, courtesy of Joshua Silverstein.

Joshua Silverstein: Beatboxing and Activism

By Liz Ohanesian / KCET / May 29, 2016 – Almost immediately after this interview officially begins, Joshua Silverstein begins talking about Los Angeles. We’re sitting […]