A visual ‘Love’ guide through Los Feliz (by Yael Nov)
Yael is a photographer and sculpturist who grew up in the Pacific Northwest, and now lives and works in Los Feliz. Here’s the scoop on a few of her favorite neighborhood spots perfect for solo wandering, exploring with friends, or a romantic stroll with someone special:
- Figaro Bistrot – A great cafe with sidewalk seating perfect for people-watching over a cappuccino or carafe of wine. Be sure to grab a fresh canele in the morning. 1802 N Vermont Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90027
- Right next door to Figaro is Skylight Books– Skylight’s main storefront has great author readings and book signings but I especially enjoy the Arts Annex two doors down. The Arts Annex has a great selection of artist monographs and texts, hard to find magazines and quarterlies, and even boasts an extensive zine section. A great shop to peruse through or pick up something to read while enjoying a drink at Figaro. 1818 N Vermont Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90027
- Caffe Vita– On the corner of Sunset Blvd. and Hillhurst Ave, Caffe Vita is a Seattle-born (much like myself) coffee shop that opened in Silverlake about four years ago. With plenty of seating inside and outdoors, Vita is a great place to work or study or catch up with a friend. Though the cafe has a similar menu to the Seattle locations, the LA cafe has a unique item – the espresso granita. The granita is the perfect pick me up during the hot summer months on the east side. Whether you’re homesick for the Pacific Northwest or just want a great cup of coffee, Vita is worth a visit. 4459 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90027
- Cafe Stella – Continuing up Sunset Blvd. is Sunset Junction, a great block of shops and restaurants on the cusp between Los Feliz and Silverlake. A favorite spot of mine is Cafe Stella. Entering the cozy European-style cafe feels like you’ve been transported to Paris or Tel Aviv. The lemon ricotta pancakes are dreamy and the vibe is laid back and cool. A neighborhood gem perfect for a brunch with friends or a romantic drink in the evening. 3932 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90029
- While at Sunset Junction be sure to stop in Clementine Floral Works to pick up an arrangement for your loved one or for yourself. With a wide variety of traditional and unique blooms, you’re sure to find the perfect bouquet for any recipient. The staff is knowledgeable and happy to collaborate with you to create something special. 3936 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90029
We hope you enjoy some of the places Yael loves most in her neighborhood!